Bruce Momjian wrote:
Dickson S. Guedes wrote:
Hi all,

There is a TODO Item to allow pg_hba.conf to specify host names along
with IP addresses.

I'd like to work on this feature, if nobody is working too and no
objection exists.

Please do --- I know of no one working on that.

The reason it wasn't done years ago was that there was disagreement on the way it should work. And the TODO actually lists several alternatives:

   Host name lookup could occur when the postmaster reads the
   pg_hba.conf file, or when the backend starts. Another solution would
   be to reverse lookup the connection IP and check that hostname
   against the host names in pg_hba.conf. We could also then check that
   the host name maps to the IP address.

So before you start actually working on it, let's see if we have a better level of agreement on what it should do. Personally, I favor hostname lookup on backend start but none of the others.

cheers

andrew