David Fetter wrote:
On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:19:59AM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
David Fetter wrote:
Folks,

I've noticed that a big hunk of our build system has gratuitous
dependencies on some variety of shell and on tools like sed, none
of which makes Windows developers feel welcome.  I know people are
working toward a cmake or other more cross-platform toolchain.  My
proposal is a lot more modest, and doesn't conflict with the larger
one.  I'd like to move the above stuff to self-contained perl would
help to make things more cross-platform and clean up, no offense to
the fine authors, some pretty crufty code in there.
Give us some examples.

That new version stamper calls out to sed, when perl is perfectly
capable of doing the same work itself and not spawning 30 shells in
the process.

I thought you might be thinking of that. In fact, you are completely mischaracterising this script, which is not any part of the build system. It is a maintenance tool, probably of practical interest to about three people, and there is no requirement for it to be cross-platform.

Is perl currently required to build from tarball? If not, you would
be placing an additional build requirement and there may still be a
few odd build environments that don't sport perl by default.

This is 2008, and it's silly to pretend we need to support this
"requirement" on systems where people are building Postgres.

Weren't you the person who just wanted not to be painted into a corner? In general, I am in favor of having as few build dependencies as possible. So should you be.

cheers

andrew