On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:59 AM, Tom Lane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Jeffrey Baker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > It is impossible to dump (with pg_dump -Ocx) and restore (with psql) a
> > database which contains sequences in any of 8.1, 8.2, or 8.3:
>
> I should think we would have heard about it before now if such a
> sweeping claim were true.

Last time this problem came up, in August, you dismissed it somewhat
rudely.  So perhaps the lack of reports is due more to perception than any
other thing.

> What I suspect is that you are using 8.1's pg_dump, and you have tripped
> over one of the corner cases that made us redesign dumping of serial
> sequences for 8.2.  Do you get better results if you dump the problem
> database with 8.2 or 8.3 pg_dump?

What's the corner case exactly?  8.3 dumps it correctly, but that's not
really much of a consolation because I need to restore _this_ dump, not some
other one.  It was necessary for me to recreate all the sequences and set
the curvals manually.

Can't the fix be backported to 8.1?

-jwb