On Jul 12, 2008, at 14:57, Tom Lane wrote:

4. A lot of the later test cases are equally uselessly testing whether
piggybacking over text functions works.  The odds of ever finding
anything with those tests are not distinguishable from zero (unless the underlying text function is busted, which is not your responsibility to
test).  So I don't see any point in putting them into the standard
regression package.  (What maybe *would* be useful to test, but you
didn't, is whether the result of a function is considered citext rather
than text.)

I'd like to keep these tests, since they ensure not just that the functions work but that they work with citext. Given what we found with length() and friends not working when there was an implicit cast to bpchar, I think it's valuable to continue to ensure that these functions work as expected with citext. Otherwise someone in the future might come along and make the cast to bpchar implicit again, and no tests would fail to tell him/her otherwise.

These tests make good regressions.

Thanks,

David