David E. Wheeler wrote:

(If we get to having per-database collations in 8.4 then integrating a
test with a non-default collation would get a lot easier, of course;
but for the moment I'm afraid you've got to work with what's there.)

Could I supply two comparison files, one for Mac OS X with en_US.UTF-8 and one for everything else, as described in the last three paragraphs here?

  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/regress-variant.html

That way, I can at least make sure that the multibyte stuff *does* work. Even if it's tested on only one platform, the purpose is not to test a particular collation, but to test that CITEXT is actually sensitive to locale.

You can certainly add any tests you like. But the buildfarm does all its regression tests using an install done with --no-locale. Any test that requires some locale to work, or make sense, should probably not be in your Makefile's REGRESS target.

Some time ago I raised the question of doing locale- and encoding-aware regression tests, and IIRC the consensus seemed to be that it was not worth the effort, but maybe we need to revisit that. We certainly seem to be doing a lot more work now to get Postgres to where it needs to be w.r.t. locale support, and we've cleaned up a lot of the encoding issues we had, so maybe we need to reflect that in our testing regime more.

cheers

andrew