Hi All,

I installed PostgreSQL-8.3.1 on my Suse Linux machine, it went on fine without
any problems and I was able to create and access the database, even I was able
to start, restart and check the status of the service.
Since it is my local machine and people are remotly connecting to the database
on my local machine, I used to keep the machine up and running.

Today I came and checked and It was telling me that the service of postgres is
not running, so I went and checked the postmaster.pid file it was not in the
data folder, but I was able to get to the psql prompt and execute standard sql
statements, even people were able to connect remotly and access the databse on
my machine.

The only difficult that I was facing was that I was unable to restart or stop
the service.

So with the help of the ps -ef | grep postgres command I was able to trace out
the pid and then manually kill the pid with the kill -9 command, after this I
was able to restart, stop or check the status of the service.

Can anyone throw light on why the postmaster.pid was not visible, the other
intresting factor that I observed was that the postgres service was running on
the 5432 port this was visible from the /tmp location.

Also I would like to know if theer is any other alternative with which i can
restart the service and retain the postmaster.pid file.

Thanks in advance
Regards
Cinu

      Explore your hobbies and interests. Go to
http://in.promos.yahoo.com/groups/