once, for regular VACUUM I think you really have to call it within
each bulkdelete operation.

Exactly what I did in last patch.

There's probably no point in optimizing
it away in VACUUM FULL either, since surely it'll be fast to call
index_cleanup when there's nothing in the pending list?

Sure, with empty pending list insertcleanup will just lock/unlock metapage.

Yeah, I was going to complain about that next :-).  Autovacuum isn't
going to trigger as a result of INSERT operations; somehow we have
to teach it what to do for GIN indexes.  I remember we discussed this
at PGCon but I don't think we decided exactly what to do...
So, may be we just move insertcleanup call to ginbulkdelete/ginvacuumcleanup but leave aminsertcleanup field in pg_proc for a future.

I've already made a number of changes to the patch; let me keep working
on it and send it back to you later.
ok

--
Teodor Sigaev                                   E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                                   WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/