 Gregory> I just wonder where all these examples of real-world queries
 Gregory> were when I posted this patch and asked for such feedback
 Gregory> originally. sigh.

 Gregory> In any case I think we've already made this decision. If we
 Gregory> wanted the 80% solution it was ready for Postgres 8.3. It
 Gregory> wouldn't make much sense to skip it then but put it in now
 Gregory> when that there's time to finish it and a lot of the work's
 Gregory> already done.

I wasn't paying much attention in the 8.3 development phases so I have
no idea what patch you had then.

The patch under review is for WITH RECURSIVE, not just for WITH, and it
handles a large enough proportion of the use-cases for recursive queries
(I've never seen a requirement for mutual recursion in the wild, though
I've several times had to kludge around pg lack of recursion support)
that I think it should be included in 8.4 either as-is, or with whatever
improvements are possible between now and release.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)