On Jul 28, 2008, at 12:29, Tom Lane wrote:

Andrew Dunstan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
ISTM that Tom's objection is really that citext is a hack, and that it
will actually make it harder for us to get to a collation-based case
insensitive comparison.

Well, it won't make it harder to implement collations; but I worry that people who have been relying on the citext syntax will have a hard time
migrating to collations.  Perhaps if someone did the legwork to
determine exactly what that conversion would look like, it would assuage
the fear.

Well, there is no syntax for citext. Right now, lots of folks are using LOWER() all over the place, in indexes and queries, to get the behavior implemented by citext, and that will be a *lot* harder to migrate from than citext will be. To upgrade from citext, I expect that what one will have to do is to alter the column to change its data type from citext to TEXT + collation.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

David