On Aug 13, 2008, at 4:12 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
Tom Lane wrote:
Decibel! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
I disagree. While we don't guarantee stats are absolutely up-to- date, or atomic I don't think that gives license for them to just magically
not exist sometimes.

Would it really be that hard to have the system copy the file out
before telling all the other backends of the change?

Well, there is no (zero, zilch, nada) use-case for changing this setting on the fly. Why not make it a "frozen at postmaster start" GUC? Seems like that gets all the functionality needed and most of the ease of use.

Oh, there is a use-case. If you run your system and then only afterwards
realize the I/O from the stats file is high enough to be an issue, and
want to change it.

That said, I'm not sure the use-case is anywhere near common enough to
put a lot of code into it.

Something to keep in mind as PG is used to build larger systems 'further up the enterprise'... for us to bounce a database at work costs us a LOT in lost revenue. I don't want to go into specifics, but it's more than enough to buy a very nice car. :) That's why I asked how hard it'd be to do this on the fly.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  [EMAIL PROTECTED]