On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, Tom Lane wrote:

the seldom-used log-each-transaction option, which pretty obviously
 is a drag on performance anyway

I always recommend that people run with log each transaction turned on, beause it's the only way to gather useful latency information. I think runs that measure TPS without even considering that are much less useful. The fact that it's seldom used is something I consider a problem with pgbench.

I repeat my concern that transaction rates measured with this patch will
be significantly different from those seen with the old code

Last time I tried to quantify the overhead of logging with timestamps on I couldn't even measure its impact, it was lower than the usual pgbench noise. That was on Linux. Do you have a suggestion for a platform that it's a problem on that I might be able to use? I'd like to do some measurements.

--
* Greg Smith [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD