Gregory Stark napsal(a):

On Unix that creates a sparse file where the intervening blocks are not
allocated. When we later write out those blocks the filesystem then has to
allocate space for them. IIRC the bug reports were from Windows. I'm not sure
what NTFS's behaviour with sparse files is.

NTFS has sparse file feature, but how it works ...

Now this only matters if we ever call mdextend on a block which isn't the
block immediately following the end of file. Is that true?

I think, that it could happens only during wal log replay, but at the end everything should be OK. Look into ReadBuffer_common there is following code:

00226     /* Substitute proper block number if caller asked for P_NEW */
00227     if (isExtend)
00228         blockNum = smgrnblocks(smgr, forkNum);

                Zdenek