On Aug 24, 2008, at 6:16 AM, Merlin Moncure wrote:

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 2:00 AM, D'Arcy J.M. Cain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 14:57:50 -0400
Tom Lane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Also, having now looked at the proposed patch, it seems clear that it isn't addressing the issue of quoting/escaping at all; so I wonder how
this can be considered to be a safely machine-readable format.

It's not a machine readable format.  It is a simple display with more
border lines. Just like "border 2" is like "border 1" with more border
lines.  I'm just following the progression.

Personally I think it's rather nice to be able to have some extra
flexibility in how psql prints out data.  Maybe, instead of the dry
and uninformative 'border 2', there could be a set of ouput control
options.  Maybe I want the text aligned but with no border for
example.

Or maybe you want an external filter that eats csv or xml and excretes
what you want to see on the screen.

Cheers,
  Steve