Simon Riggs wrote:
On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 11:07 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
Scenario: The binary tree on a page is corrupt, so that the value of an upper node is > Max(leftchild, rightchild). Consequence: Searchers will notice the corruption while trying to traverse down that path, and throw an elog(WARNING) in search_avail(). fsm_search will retry the search, and will in worst case go into an infinite loop. That's obviously not good. We could automatically fix the upper nodes of the tree, but that would wipe evidence that would be useful in debugging.

We probably need to break out of infinite loops, especially ones that
output warning messages on each loop. :-)

Yep. I turned that warning into an error in the latest patch I just posted elsewhere in this thread.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas