Hi,

ITAGAKI Takahiro wrote:
Signals and locking, borrewed from Postgres-R, are now studied
for the purpose in the log shipping, but I'm not sure it can be
also used in the group commit.

Yeah. As Heikki points out, there is a completely orthogonal question WRT group commit: how does transaction A know if or how long it should wait for other transactions to file their WAL?

If we decide to do all of the WAL writing from a separate WAL writer process and let the backends communicate with it, then imessages might help again. But I currently don't think that's feasible.

Apart from possibly having similar IPC requirements, group commit and log shipping have not much in common and should be considered separate features.

Regards

Markus Wanner