Tom Lane wrote:
Ron Mayer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
... ISO 8601 intervals ...

On the output side, seems like a GUC variable
is the standard precedent here.  I'd still vote against overloading
DateStyle --- it does too much already --- but a separate variable for
interval style wouldn't bother me.  In fact, given that we are now
somewhat SQL-compliant on interval input, a GUC that selected
PG traditional, SQL-standard, or ISO 8601 interval output format seems
like it could be a good idea.

Is it OK that this seems to me it wouldn't be backward compatible
with the current interval_out that looks to me to be using
the DateStyle GUC?

I supposed it could be made backward compatible if the new
IntervalStyle GUC defaulted to a value of "guess_from_datestyle",
but I fear an option like that  might add rather than remove
confusion.