Russell Smith wrote:
Andrew Dunstan wrote:
[snip]
Er, who doesn't know what for certain, exactly? pg_restore will
certainly know that it has created the table in another session and
can thus safely truncate the table in the same transaction as the data
load.

cheers

andrew

I'm confused about why table definition and data can't be loaded in the
same backend and transaction.  Can somebody explain that?

That would delay other things that depend on the table definition (e.g. function definitions). If we don't need to make this link (and we don't) then I can't see why we should shackle ourselves with it.

cheers

andrew