David Fetter wrote:
On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 08:59:08PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
Simon Riggs wrote:
Disabling autovacuum can have catastrophic effects, since it disables
the ANALYZing of tables.

Can we have a mode where we disable autoVACUUM yet enable autoANALYZE?
You mean something like
autovacuum = on / off / analyze ?

We can certainly do that, but is there buy-in?

+1

Having autovacuum on during bulk loads can really tank performance,
but having autoanalyze on is good :)

Isn't autoanalyze a waste of time during a bulk load? Seems better to run ANALYZE manually at the end.

Adding that option feels natural to me, but it is a rather blunt instrument. You can already do that with pg_autovacuum, though that interface isn't very user-friendly. I whole-heartedly support the idea of controlling autovacuum with storage options, e.g "ALTER TABLE ... WITH (autoanalyze = on)".

--
  Heikki Linnakangas