Heikki Linnakangas napsal(a):
Zdenek Kotala wrote:
pg_collation catalog is also important for pg_dump, because system collation names are not compatible over OS and pg_dump output should be portable. pg_collation adds abstract layer which solve this problem.

That's a valid point. We'll still need a way to map OS locale to whatever internal names we invent for them, though, so I'm not sure if the pg_collation catalog helps much, but just moves the problem elsewhere.

It is true. For names we can for example use RFC479 0IANA register) http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4790#section-7
or use UNICODE terminology CLDR.

The pg_dump output of the CREATE COLLATION statements still wouldn't be portable from one OS to another.

I don't think so that pg_collation catalog should be dumped (maybe only with extra switch).

                        Zdenek