Tom Lane wrote:
Paul Schlie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
- yes, if you're willing to compute true CRC's as opposed to simpler
checksums, which may be worth the price if in fact many/most data
check failures are truly caused by single bit errors somewhere in the
chain,

FWIW, not one of the corrupted-data problems I've investigated has ever
looked like a single-bit error.  So the theoretical basis for using a
CRC here seems pretty weak.  I doubt we'd even consider automatic repair
attempts anyway.

Single bit failures are probably the most common, but they are probably already handled by the hardware. I don't think I've ever seen a modern hard drive return a wrong bit - I get short reads first. By the time somebody notices a problem, it's probably more than a few bits that have accumulated. For example, if memory has a faulty cell in it, it will create a fault a percentage of every time it is accessed. One bit error easily turns into two, three, ... Then there is the fact that no hardware is perfect, and every single component in the computer has a chance, however small, of introducing bit errors... :-(

Cheers,
mark

--
Mark Mielke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>