On Thu, 9 Oct 2008, Tom Lane wrote:
So I'm mystified
how Matthew could have seen the expected error and yet had the
destination tree (or at least large chunks of it) left behind.

Remember I was running 8.3.0, and you mentioned a few changes after that version which would have made sure the destination tree was cleaned up properly.

[ thinks for a bit... ]  We know there were multiple occurrences.
Matthew, is it possible that you had other createdb failures that
did *not* report "file does not exist"?  For instance, a createdb
interrupted by a "fast" database shutdown might have left things this
way.

Well, we didn't have any fast database shutdowns or power failures. I don't think so.

Matthew

--
Heat is work, and work's a curse. All the heat in the universe, it's
going to cool down, because it can't increase, then there'll be no