On Oct 10, 2008, at 3:40 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
I dislike all own creatures - because nobody will understand so do
some wrong thing - using non standard formats is bad thing. So it's is
necessary, then who need it then he found it on pgfoundry. But why
smudge core?

I'm opposed to smudging core, but I'm in favor of this patch.  :-)

Of course, I'm biased, because I wrote it.  But I think that providing
input and output functions that make it easy to read and write common
formats, even if they happen to be non-standard, is useful.

I tend to agree, but I have a hard time swallowing that when it means a 2-3% performance penalty for those that aren't using that functionality. I could perhaps see adding a function that accepted common UUID formats and spit out the standard.

If you could get rid of the performance hit this might be more interesting. Perhaps default to assuming a good format and only fail back to something else if that doesn't work?
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  [EMAIL PROTECTED]