On 20 okt 2008, at 16.51, Andrew Dunstan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Magnus Hagander wrote:
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

Tom Lane wrote:

Andrew Dunstan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

OK. Where would be a good place to put the code? Maybe a new file
src/backend/utils/adt/trigger_utils.c ?

I thought the plan was to make it a contrib module.

Well, previous discussion did mention catalog entries, which would
suggest otherwise, but I can do it as a contrib module if that's the
consensus.

What would be the actual reason to put it in contrib and not core? Are there any "dangers" by having it there? Or is it "just a hack" and not a
"real solution"?

No, it's not just a hack. It's very close to what we'd probably do if we built the facility right into the language, although it does involve the overhead of calling the trigger. However, it performs reasonably well - not surprising since the guts of it is just a memcmp() call.

In that case, why not put the trigger in core so people can use it easily?

/magnus