> I really think we should have a way of telling if a array/row/record
> variable is actually set to something, and I'm pretty sure that should be
> unrelated to whether all the elements in it happen to be null.

+1.  Also, can whatever syntax we introduce by something relatively
concise?  Code that looks nice when you write "=" does not look as
nice when you write "IS NOT DISTINCT FROM".  I'm almost inclined to
suggest using functional notation rather than dreaming up a new "IS
WHATEVER" syntax.

> And the IS
> NOT NULL case seems exceptionally broken. I think it's extremely confusing
> to have it behave differently than NOT blah IS NULL.

-1.  This is obviously a trap for the unwary but I think we're stuck with it.

...Robert