Tom Lane wrote:
Gregory Stark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Tom Lane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
... 3b sounds good until you
reflect that a genuinely variable chunk size would preclude random
access to sub-ranges of a toast value.

Hm, Heikki had me convinced it wouldn't but now that I try to explain it I
can't get it to work. I think the idea is you start a scan at the desired
offset and scan until you reach a chunk which overruns the end of the desired
piece. However you really need to start scanning at the last chunk *prior* to
the desired offset.

Yeah, that was my conclusion too.

Hmm, you're right. I think it can be made to work by storing the *end* offset of each chunk. To find the chunk containing offset X, search for the first chunk with end_offset > X.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas