Brendan Jurd wrote:
...Sep 18, 2008... Ron Mayer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  The attached patch
    (1) adds a new GUC called "IntervalStyle" that decouples interval
        output from the "DateStyle" GUC, and
    (2) adds a new interval style that will match the SQL standards
        for interval literals when given interval data that meets the
        sql standard (year-month or date-time only; and no mixed sign).

I've been assigned to do an initial review of your interval patches.
I'm going to be reviewing them one at a time, starting with this one
(the introduction of the new IntervalStyle GUC).

Great!  Thanks much!

I grabbed the latest version of the patch from the URL posted up on
the CF wiki page:
http://0ape.com/postgres_interval_patches/stdintervaloutput.patch

Nice site you've got set up for the patches, BTW.  It certainly makes
it all a lot more approachable.

Ah. If you're using GIT, you might find it more convenient to pull/merge
from
  http://git.0ape.com/postgresql/
or browse through gitweb:
  http://git.0ape.com/?p=postgresql;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/cleanup
  http://git.0ape.com/git-browser/by-commit.html?r=postgresql
though this is the first time I've set up gitweb so it might have rough edges.

The patch applied cleanly to the latest version of HEAD in the git
repository.  I was able to build both postgres and the documentation
without complaint on x86_64 gentoo.

When I ran the regression tests, I got one failure in the new interval
tests.  Looks like the "nonstandard extended" format gets a bit
confused when the seconds are negative:

Ah yes.   Let me guess, HAVE_INT64_TIMESTAMP was defined.  I believe
the later refactoring patch also avoids that bug; but yes, I obviously
should have had it working in this patch.

This fix was simple (can be seen on gitweb here: http://tinyurl.com/5fxeyw)
and I think I've pushed the updated patches to my website.

Once I fix the stylistic points you mentioned below I'll post
the resulting patch to the mailing list.

Otherwise, the feature seemed to behave as advertised.  I tried
throwing a few bizarre intervals at it, but didn't manage to break
anything.

The C code has some small stylistic inconsistencies....
...documentation...some
minor stylistic and spelling cleanups I would suggest.

Totally agree with all your style suggestions.   Will send an update
a bit later today.