Simon Riggs wrote:
On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 12:16 +1300, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
Trying out a few different scenarios I ran across this:

1/ Setup master and replica with replica using pg_standby
2/ Create a new database ("bench" in my case)
3/ Initialize pgbench schema size 100
4/ Run with 2 clients and 10000 transactions
5/ Replica gets assertion failure

I've been unable to reproduce this error in more than 2 days of bashing.
The bash test I use is a pgbench variant designed to cause write
contention, while at the same time running reads against those same
blocks on standby, plus running parallel installcheck.

I suspect now there was a problem in ProcArrayClearUnobservedXids(), so
I clear the array each time now, whether or not we are in assert mode.
i.e. better hygiene around reused data structures. So I *haven't*
reworked my earlier code, just checked it all again.

So, new patch enclosed. This fixes everything reported so far, plus
another 2 bugs I found and fixed during re-test.

Patching with v5d, I can no longer reproduce this either. Excellent!

Cheers

Mark