On Nov 11, 2008, at 10:06 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
- Should this be an optional behavior?  What if I don't WANT my view
to be updateable?

That seems like a deal-breaker to me... many users could easily be depending on views not being updateable. Views are generally always thought of as read-only, so you should need to explicitly mark a view as being updateable/insertable/deleteable.

It's tempting to try and use permissions to try and handle this, but I don't think that's safe either: nothing prevents you from doing GRANT ALL on a view with no rules, and such a view would suddenly become updateable.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  [EMAIL PROTECTED]