On Fri, 14 Nov 2008, Gregory Stark wrote:

In particular I was hoping Zoltan who original reported the sequential file strategy stuff being helpful might be able to see if this works for him.

The original message there suggested it was particularly valuable when working with a somewhat broken kernel that was handling multiple simultaenous reads badly. I think the idea here is that if you've got an OS that handles that situation well, then the fadvise calls don't help much. But having them in there does improve the odds that the kernel will do the right thing with the sequential reads.

--
* Greg Smith [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD