Hannu Krosing wrote:

Neither of these would be the same as using plperl's %_SHARED, which I gather is what is being done.

He asked for a method to get/set a shared value "with best performance"
and updating a table row seems about twice as fast as calling a plperl
function.

 But using a temp table would be.

You can't access temp table from several sessions, which is what I think
they want.

Well, neither is %_SHARED shared across backends, so if that's what they want I'm wondering what exactly they are doing. Maybe using plperlu to talk to some shared memory, or memcached, or some such.

cheers

andrew