On Nov 30, 2008, at 6:49 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

Peter Eisentraut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
There are two ways to fix this, both having some validity:

1. We create a second version of pg_get_function_arguments() that produces
arguments without default values decoration.  This is probably the
technically sound thing to do.

Yes. I think that the argument for allowing parameter names in commands
like ALTER FUNCTION is that the user might consider them part of the
function's identity.  This can hardly be claimed for default values.

Agreed, default values should not be a part of function signatures, although it might be nice if ALTER FUNCTION to allow default values to be changed.

Best,

David