Jeff Davis wrote:
On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 17:10 -0600, Kenneth Marshall wrote:
On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 06:07:41PM -0500, Jaime Casanova wrote:
On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 5:47 PM, Kenneth Marshall <k...@rice.edu> wrote:
Rebuilding a hash index for the case
for which it is preferred (large, large tables) would be excrutiating.

there's such a situation?

As of 8.4, yes.

My understanding was that the hash index type never supported
recoverability, and could require a rebuild on power failure.

Right, this is certainly not a new problem. It's not even a new problem in the context of replication or hot standby, because we already have the problem with PITR and file-based log shipping.

Also, it's not just a problem *during* the recovery. The index is just as corrupt after the recovery has finished.

I think we should just leave it alone for 8.4, and fix it properly in a future relase by implementing WAL-logging for hash indexes.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas