On 2008-12-19, at 13:07, Tom Lane wrote:

Grzegorz Jaskiewicz <g...@pointblue.com.pl> writes:
Filter: (NOT (hashed subplan))

If 8.3 does that, and 8.4 doesn't, it's most likely because you are
using different work_mem settings.

you're right, as always :)

My point is, why is planner choosing plan on 8.4 that's obviously more expensive ? even without sort_mem (work_mem) set to higher value ? Obviously the plan is quite expensive, so probably sorting it on disc - would be still cheaper. The example is quite unrealistic, but I am trying different simple things to test planner differences between these two versions, and see if there's any improvement/regression.
This time I will set both work_mem to same value :)