Bruce Momjian wrote:
I supposed Solaris 2.5.1 (release 1996) is just too old to add
threading, and this code has been unchanged for years.

Yeah, its old.  Unfortunately for us, we still have to support it.

To set the record straight, the issue is not threads. Threads work fine on 2.5.1. This is a configure system linking issue, "gethostbyname" requires linking with libnsl.so. So, thread_test.c must link with -lnsl.

The bigger issue is that the configure script needs to include -lnsl for older solaris platforms. Solaris 2.5.1 has "gethostbyname_r" but the configure check fails for the same reason.

configure:19821: checking for gethostbyname_r
configure:19877: gcc -o conftest -O2 -Wall [...snip...]
Undefined     first referenced
 symbol           in file
gethostbyname_r /var/tmp//ccSuGLEn.o (symbol belongs to implicit dependency /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

This is why thread_test.c thought it had to fall back on gethostbyname in the first place.

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC