Simon Riggs wrote:
Without the patch it is completely *impossible* to write an index plugin
that is *recoverable*.

It's also impossible to do many other things without modifying the source code. Bitmap indexam had to do it, my clustered indexes had to do it, GIN had to do it.

Yes, we have pluggable indexes now, but unless
they are recoverable we certainly can't ever use them in production.

Sure you can. Just Do It, if that's what you want. If you're willing to write a custom indexam, and run it in production, compiling PostgreSQL from source and patching it isn't such a stretch.

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not against pluggable indexes in principle. I just don't believe this patch brings us closer to that goal in any significant way.

With the patch, you still have to write the index code. I agree it is
hard code to write, but not impossible. I would go so far as to say that
the patch helps you 0% with the task of actually writing the plugin. But
the patch enables you to start and that is all its intended as: an
enabler.

Nothing stops you from starting right now, without this plugin. This is open source.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas