Simon,

Your suggestion sounds reasonable and I thank you, but doesn't actually
address the plugin discussion at all. It had absolutely zip to do with
making building indexes easier; it was about enabling robust index
plugins, period. (As well as other worthwhile use cases). It's not a
cost benefit decision, its just "can we have it, or not?". The API *is*
the right one because we already use it with at least 3 actual
implementations. Will it change over time? Of course.

OK. Mostly I'm looking at the calendar, and didn't want to see this rejected permanently just because people don't want to hash it out in time for 8.4.

--Josh