AIX 4.3 was released in late 1999, so I thought it was worth mentioning. I only have AIX 4.3 and 6.1, so I have no idea how AIX 5 handles this. AIX 6.1 works fine.

Anyways, the service argument to getaddrinfo is busted on AIX 4.3, thus src/backend/libpq/ip.c pg_getaddrinfo_all() is busted on this platform. It fails with EAI_NODATA "Host not found". If this argument is left NULL, everything works.

I can supply a patch to fix this. My suggestion would be to always supply a NULL service to getaddrinfo. After a successful call, set the port if it was provided ... htons((unsigned short)atoi(servname)). This approach avoids a configure check.

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC