--On 23. Januar 2009 18:07:38 -0500 Jaime Casanova <jcasa...@systemguards.com.ec> wrote:

and what about default values? if we redirect we will have to use the
table's default (something i like) and AFAIU we won't have the ability
to change it for the view at least not without manually create a new
DO INSTEAD rule (something i don't like)...

i'm missing something? or can we implement such "REDIRECT" with the
ability to respect view's own defaults?

It's too late for me to think technically about it, but you're right, something to keep this behavior would be nice. I don't know wether the standard has a notion about such behavior, too (have to look at it).

Note that a possible solution obviously has to allow the old behavior, so in the first place this behavior can be easily restored.

        Bernd