Simon Riggs wrote:
In various places in current HEAD we throw a checkpoint when we want to
be certain that all buffers have been flushed.

In recovery, a checkpoint isn't always a restartpoint for two reasons:
timing and rmgr state. This gives both a cause for the error and an
explanation of why it does not occur consistently. ISTM this could
likely effect previous releases as well.

Were you able to narrow this down? Do you know exactly what command caused it? At least replay of CREATE DATABASE already calls FlushDatabaseBuffers(), but are we missing that from some other place?

--
  Heikki Linnakangas