Simon Riggs wrote:
not trying to make sure that cron-driven
scripts can do anything autovacuum can.

I'm not in favour of limiting our capability to internal actions only.
If we add a capability for scheduling work, we can easily make it
capable of scheduling many kinds of work.

Writing an application maintenance utility in PL/pgSQL is much better
than having to write it for all the different servers an application may
need to run on. We can't ignore that many people use Windows.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. Windows has a scheduler (in my setup, that's how my buildfarm members run). And there are third party cron utilities as well.

cheers

andrew