Euler Taveira de Oliveira wrote:
Alvaro Herrera escreveu:
Euler Taveira de Oliveira wrote:
Peter Eisentraut escreveu:
If no such list exists yet, perhaps we can complete the above one, document it, and pass it on to the packagers.

Are you suggesting that if an user has 7.4 and install 8.3 then the package
will replace psql-7.4 with psql-8.3? It will confuse users more that help them
(psql --version ?) and we will have extra effort to maintain the compatibility
version list at each binary.
psql is already compatible with old versions.  I don't think we should
throw away that work by not maintaining it.

I think we shouldn't too. But I think newbie users will be confused when (s)he
doesn't find the exact binary version at her/his machine.

Newbie users aren't exactly the target audience for a multiversion installation. And the slightly-past-newbie-users might find the hypothetical "this version of psql supports servers 7.4 through 8.4" notice in the man page or version output helpful.