Joshua Tolley wrote:
Way back in this thread[1] one of the arguments against allowing
some version of CREATE SYNONYM was that we couldn't create a synonym for
an object in a remote database. Will the SQL/MED work make this sort of
thing a possibility? I realize since it's not standard anyway, there's
still a discussion or two to be had about how precisely it should work,
but thought I'd raise the possibility.

- Josh / eggyknap

[1] http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2006-03/msg00085.php

I still think that this is a useful feature.
If i remember correctly there were two killer arguments against this:
   - it encourages people to do "lousy development"
   - extra overhead
personally i think that this won't be revisted - i cannot see a real connection to SQL/MED here.

   best regards,

      hans

--
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH
PostgreSQL Support, Consulting, Training