On 11 Mar 2009, at 13:51, Marko Kreen wrote:

Linux kernel is moving to use -Os everywhere.  AFAIK their argument is
that kernel code should not be doing anything CPU-intensive, thus
minimal cache usage is more important than unrolled loops.

This also seems to hint that -Os is not really appropriate to Postgres.
Although it would be good fit for eg. PgBouncer.

while it might be right in case of linux kernel (which I won't agree totally with personally), I don't see any reason to compare it with postgresql. Kernel is extensively use by everything in system, hence their reasoning. Postgresql is an application.