How much of this pain would go away if we changed over to the arguably
 correct (as in Or*cle does it that way) scoping for names, wherein the
 parser first tries to match a name against column names of tables of the
 current SQL statement, and only failing that looks to see if they are
 plpgsql variables?

-1 on this. If we're to have definite rules, I would prefer that stuff gets assumed to be a variable *first*, and then object definitions are only examined after the system fails to find a matching variable name.

That priority makes it much easier to debug a function than the Oracle way.

--Josh