Joe Conway writes:

> On a related note, are there any other bytea functions we should have in the
> backend before freezing for 7.2?

The SQL standards has a lot of functions for BLOB...

> I was thinking it would be nice to have a
> way to cast bytea into text and vice-versa, so that the normal text
> functions could be used for things like LIKE and concatenation.

Better write a native LIKE function for bytea, now that some parts are
threatening to make the text-LIKE function use the locale collating
sequence.  (Multibyte aware text could also have interesting effects.)

--
Peter Eisentraut   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter