 >>> I don't believe that the standard forbids the use of combining
 >>> chars at all.  RFC 3629 says:
 >>>
 >>> ... This issue is amenable to solutions based on Unicode
 >>> Normalization Forms, see [UAX15].

 Gregory> This is the relevant part. Tom was claiming that the UTF8
 Gregory> encoding required normalizing the string of unicode
 Gregory> codepoints before encoding. I'm not sure that's true though,
 Gregory> is it?

FWIW, the SQL spec puts the onus of normalization squarely on the
application; the database is allowed to assume that Unicode strings
are already normalized, is allowed to behave in implementation-defined
ways when presented with strings that aren't normalized, and provision
of normalization functions and predicates is just another optional
feature.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)