Bill Moran wrote:
We should presumably let the encoding be changed when cloning
from template0, and probably it's reasonable to trust the user
if either source or destination DB encoding is SQL_ASCII.
In other cases I'm thinking it should fail.

On a pedantic level, doesn't this remove the ability to have
databases on a single cluster that are different encodings?  I mean,
if template1 is utf8, and I can't change that using CREATE
DATABASE, then I'm stuck with utf8 for all databases on that
cluster ... unless I'm missing something.

You could still use template0 as template for a database with any encoding, like:

CREATE DATABASE .. TEMPLATE = template0;

We can special case template0 because we know its contents are pure 7-bit ascii which is compatible with any server encoding.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas