Hi,

Le 1 mai 09 à 22:02, Andy Lester a écrit :

Because it becomes one more maintenance task we don't need.

There should be nothing to maintain, if it's done right.

Any line in the source tree will have to get maintained, or why would you spend any time writing it?

So it sounds like they could benefit from a tool that ensured that they would be kept consistent, and so that when it was decided that changes needed to be made, the single tool (likely a 20-line Perl program) would take care of it.

See doc/FAQ_DEV and those specific lines:

   First, all the files in the src/tools directory are designed for
   developers.

    pgindent        indents source files

Sure, and I'm sure there are plenty of projects that do use them to great effect, most notably Perl 5 and Parrot. Perl 5 specifically has had the mish-mosh of tabs-vs-spaces reduced by the addition of modelines.

There's also the src/tools/editors/{emacs,vim}.sample files with exactly what you propose, but more in a central way rather than a distributed one. The project chose to have this point addressed by proposing each contributor to setup his $EDITOR and giving samples on how to achieve this for the most popular ones.

Proposing patches to revisit choices already made in the past usually need a fair amount of proving why it's a good idea to revisit and how the new idea is better than the current one. I think the answer you got was about filling this part of your proposal.

Sorry if the "push-back" has been read as harsh, but I've got the (very personal) feeling that to become a contributor to PostgreSQL, you *will* have to be able to read this level of criticism back from the mail you send.

HTH, Regards,
--
dim