Tom Lane wrote:
Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakan...@enterprisedb.com> writes:
Tom Lane wrote:
I'm thinking plain old pairs-of-hex-digits might be the best
tradeoff if conversion speed is the criterion.

That's a lot less space-efficient than base64, though.

Well, base64 could give a 33% savings, but it's significantly harder
to encode/decode.  Also, since it has a much larger set of valid
data characters, it would be *much* more likely to allow old-style
formatting to be mistaken for new-style.  Unless we can think of
a more bulletproof format selection mechanism, that could be
an overriding consideration.

Hex will already provide some space savings over our current encoding method for most byteas anyway. It's not like we'd be making things less efficient space-wise. And in compressed archives the space difference is likely to dissolve to not very much, I suspect.

cheers

andrew