Robert Haas wrote:
EXPLAIN ('hash_detail', 'on') query...

Oops, I should have written EXPLAIN (hash_detail 'on') query... can't
follow my own syntax.

I am sorry - this is really strange syntax . Who will use this syntax?
For some parser is little bit better function call, than parametrized
statement. Some dificulties with options should be fixed with named
param (we are speaking about 8.5).

select explain_xml("select ...", true as hash_detail, ...)

See to me THAT is a really strange syntax, so I guess we need some more votes.

Both of these seem both odd an unnecessary. Why not just have a setting called, say, explain_format which governs the output?

   set explain_format = 'xml, verbose';
   explain select * from foo;

No new function or syntax would be required.

cheers

andrew